Whitefish Climate Action Plan
The Whitefish City Council established a Climate Action Planning Committee on December 5, 2016. A committee of 10 people was appointed by Mayor John Muhlfeld in January.
The City Council resolution directs the Committee to:
Work with City Staff and the Climate Smart Glacier Country partnership to evaluate the City’s energy use and propose specific projects, benchmarks and other recommendations to conserve energy in the City. The Committee may also propose actions to enhance community resilience and prepare for the effects of climate change.
There are multiple opportunities for public involvement
- All meetings are open to the public
- The committee hosted a public open house to discuss the plan and invite resident suggestions on Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at City Hall.
- Take our resident survey (October 2017). Click here to take the online survey – it takes less than 5 minutes of your time!
- The Committee is hosting a public forum on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 about reducing community and public health risk from wildfires and smoky fire seasons, 6:30 at City Hall. The committee invites public suggestions on what the city can do to reduce risk and prepare for the fire next time.
- The City Council will hold a public hearing after the committee reports its recommendations later in 2017.
Public Comment Opportunity: The CAP Committee is accepting public comments! Please share your thoughts on how the city, school district and community can conserve energy and water, reduce emissions and prepare for a changing climate. Please email your comments to Whitefish Sustainability Coordinator Rachel Sussman: RSussman@CityofWhitefish.org.
The committee is developing climate action strategies in nine areas:
- Buildings and energy use
- Water sources and water conservation
- Wastewater management
- Waste reduction and purchasing
- Future growth and hazard areas
- Forests and open land
- Local food sourcing
- Education and behavior
May 31, 2017 meeting
May 16, 2017 meeting
May 2, 2017 meeting
April 4, 2017 meeting
March 21, 2017 meeting
February 28, 2017 meeting
February 7, 2017 meeting